11.23.2011

Simple Gifts...

pretty centerpiece...
via Pinterest
I have loved the Shaker Hymn, "Simple Gifts" since I was in elementary school.  I still remember the wacky substitute teacher with the crazy hair who taught it to us while old Mrs. Grushkin was out with a broken wrist. For some reason, the song has always resonated with me. Maybe it's just its own simplicity, but I think it sums up how I feel about Thanksgiving perfectly:

"Simple Gifts" written by Elder Joseph Brackett, 1848
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.
via Wikipedia

I am grateful for so many things in my life, but it's the simplest of them all that seem to carry so much weight: 
family
 friends
health
 laughter
freedom
memories
traditions

Wishing you and yours the simplest of pleasures this Thanksgiving.

Erin

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I too, love this song. It's on a Jewel lullaby cd I have, so beautiful. The girls love it too! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that, Nancy. I'll have to look for it. I sing it to the kids at night and they love it too. Have a great Thanksgiving. I know we say this all the time and we just get busy, but maybe after Christmas we can get a date on the calendar. Something to shoot for! Love to your family from me.

    ReplyDelete