1.19.2012

Back Out on a Limb



When I started my blog eight months ago, I had a hard time coming up with a name. When I settled on Out on a Limb, I did so because it represented where I am in my life now and what I'm striving towards for the future. As we rang in the New Year, I reflected a bit and wondered if I was staying true to my title and description or if maybe it was time for a new one.  "Musings on tweaking my space, myself and breaking out of the comfort zone" didn't seem to support my blogging all that much.  While breaking out of the comfort zone means taking risks, which I'm far less afraid of than I used to be, I can't say that I've done much of that on my blog beyond well, starting one.

I've also been pretty lean on the tweaking (and sharing) my space part. I honestly have tons of projects always swirling in my mind and on my to do list. I wrote about my Design ADD early on and it still holds true.  The reality is as much as I love envisioning a beautiful space I: a) like my weekends more than I'm motivated to accomplish some of these projects in a timely manner, b) live with two little people who make it all take a lot longer and c) get self conscious at the thought of sharing my home with you all because it is never finished and always a work in progress. I know most people's homes are in this state and that it should be an evolution. I just have a hard time showing an unfinished product. 

None of this is going out on a limb. It's hugging the trunk of the tree and contemplating how I'll climb it. It's over thinking everything. It's time to start climbing and just get myself back out there.

It's also time to be honest with myself.  While design blogs are what I am most drawn to, I realize my blog is more about my personal connections, reflections and experiences with motherhood and real-life than DIY.  Know thyself, I suppose. I am a design-lover and constant tweaker, but not always a finisher. Until I started my blog, I forgot how much I loved to write and how nice it is to have a product of some kind at the end of a piece or a creative thought. I realize that my blog is the place I want to merge those two loves more clearly.

So, I'm starting off the rest of this new year with a more conscious emphasis on risk taking because it challenges and motivates me. I hope that it can be a common thread in my blogging, whether obvious or subtle. Here are a few things you can expect in the near future to keep me accountable:
  • Some real photos of my home and its work in progress reality, most likely full of self-deprecating remarks and explanations...
  • Perhaps a weekly reflection on some kind of risk taking, both personal and design related...
  • Pinspiration, because I'm addicted...
  •  More real-life reflections and photos because my best writing comes from what I know...
If I haven't lost you with this wordy post yet, thanks for indulging my thought process. Thanks to all of you who have read, commented, and followed along. I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions for going forward and growing my blog.  If I've learned anything about this community of blogging it's that it is a helpful and welcoming one, which I truly appreciate. Your feedback has been invaluable to me.

Have a great weekend.
Erin

5 comments:

  1. I love your honest, personal style. It's been great reading about your journey and I look forward to the next limb you jump to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathleen. That means a lot.

      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. It is so easy to get caught up in all the eye candy on the web (design, photos etc), that our own space goes neglected. I'm dealing with re-doing the basement playroom now. What a task! Maybe I too shall document :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh! Do I understand this post. 1 million percent. I am the exact same way. I get so excited by ideas/projects. But the cost/time/commitment gets in the way of finishing. I can't do these projects without help, and unless the project is outdoors my DH is not a willing helper. So the projects are either never started or sitting in a two year state of incompletion.

    I applaud you for going out on a limb to show where you are. I will if you will. ;)

    ReplyDelete