10.14.2011

A Dream House

Barbie had one. 
Barbie's Dream House, circa 1979, via Google

Mr. Blandings built one.
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, 1948
Cary Grant and Myrna Loy in
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House,
both images, via Google

And I am forever falling in love with other people's houses.


From the breathtaking,
Pinned Image
image via Pinterest


to the classic beauty on a tree-lined lot,
Pinned Image
from Crush Cul de Sac via Pinterest
to the humble charmer where I can imagine sitting by the fire
Pinned Image
Google.com, via Pinterest
in a cozy kitchen like this, 
Pinned Image
fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com

I am a daydreamer and a voyeur when it comes to houses.


I have several favorites in and around my neighborhood.
  
They are usually nothing fancy or very large, but typically pretty classic with an older soul and lots of charm. Nothing really like my own home or even the home I grew up in, both boxy, post-war homes nestled among their look-a-like counterparts on neat and tidy  suburban plots.



It always surprises me that I ended up living in the opposite of what I always daydreamed (and still do) about, but maybe the reality is better than the dream. As unremarkable as our house appeared from the outside when we first looked at it, the inside told a different story.


What was it that sold us? Practicality, perhaps, a blank canvas and good bones, for sure, but the ability to see our future, absolutely.  By the time we returned to our car that day, I could see where the Christmas tree would go.  We were sold and a different kind of daydreaming began.  
My house and home, like its residents, will always be evolving.  I'm guessing that the homes I  admire the most may have looked something like mine at one point.   With time and patience she will be a charmer, but the life that happens inside is better than any daydream I could imagine. 


What makes your house or apartment a home?



Erin


9 comments:

  1. I love this post...as I was reading along, I too was admiring all the beautiful homes and then I got to the best part...it's our families that make our house our home. I love that picture of your little boy looking up to his big sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Annie. That photo is one of my favorites of my kiddos. As much as they bicker from time to time, that shot says it all. He really looks up to her so much, and she is his most loyal companion.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely Erin - how ever did you manage to find "Mr. Blanding's Dream House "? a very fond memory of mine !
    I share your "house day-dreams" - and at my stage of life, now add - "I'll never live in a place like..." but, as you so wisely say - that's okay. Maybe there isn't as much love going on inside there as there is inside your charming Cape. Everything, and I do mean everything, in my home means something - it's all about memories - and you are on your way. Continue to enjoy it. x0x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom and I watched Mr. Blandings a million times when I was growing up. Love it and love your sweet comment, and your own warm and lovely home. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stopping by today! i appreciate your kind words.

    loved this post! sometimes i get sucked into my "to do" list and forget to stop and just enjoy what i already have.

    can't wait to keep reading your posts... btw your kids are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, Erin. My to do list is never-ending and my head gets so full of it sometimes.

    You're kiddos are adorable, too.

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Take care,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family has moved more times than I want to count-- meaning a different house on the average every 6 years. The CONSTANT has always been the residents of each house-- our little family :)-- bonded by love and care for one another. Truly it is what's inside that counts!!! :)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also am obsessed with houses! I love driving around at night before people have closed their shades. I love seeing families gathered at the table or sitting in a living room with the warm glow of the tv. It means that the business of living is going on there, and that is comforting. The scene always looks perfect to me, even if the house is not.

    ReplyDelete